Saturday, June 13, 2015

Am I Falling Out of Love With Gaming?

I have been rather radio silent on the blog front for quite some time now and that's because to write a blog about video games you have to play some video games. As of now, I haven't played a game since I finished Infamous: Second Son. I haven't purchased a game since Christmas (or I guess before that because technically those were gifts.) Assassins Creed Unity sits unfinished. Far cry 4 sits unfinished. Both Destiny and Assassins Creed Black Flag remain unopened. So what happened? I used to be so excited about new game releases that it felt as if I couldn't breath from the moment I saw the reveal trailer until the day I finally held it in my hands. I would play it until I was forced to sleep, or eat, or until my Playstation's cooling fan couldn't handle it any longer. I couldn't relax until I had seen the credits roll and days at work or school were excruciatingly long because I just couldn't wait until I could get back to playing. 

The last time I felt that way about a game was all the way back in 2013. It was my first summer break in college, so naturally, and regretfully, it was spent in my hometown. I was working my full-time summer job and I was counting down the hours until I could rush home and find my pre-ordered copy of The Last of Us delivered on release day. However, being in rural Nevada, release day delivery was not guaranteed and my copy was not there. I had to sit through another long day terrified that I was going to stumble across a spoiler before I could even pop it into the PS3. Eventually I got my copy and much to the dismay of my brother and parents, I finished the game in two days. 

It's probably not the best way to play games, finishing them in a matter of days, but I just can't rest until I finish the story. Especially since we live in a world where keyboard crusaders find so much joy in spoiling everything for everyone. Of course I take my time exploring open worlds and doing side-quests, but in linear games I have to get through the story, I have to know what happens. It's like binge-watching a show on Netflix. So why am I not itching to finish Assassin's Creed Unity or Far Cry 4? 

Honestly, I don't know. Maybe because I was already starting to get fatigued by the AC series. Or maybe because Far Cry 3 was pretty fantastic and it seems like this quick sequel was just trying to cash in on that. Maybe I'm just coming up with excuses for being lazy, too lazy to even play video games. (Wow...that's bad.) Maybe this is what happens when you become an adult and your focus shifts to school and work and the only energy you have left is for watching Netflix and going down the rabbit hole of Buzzfeed and Cracked.com. Or maybe the PS4 and Xbox One era just hasn't hit its stride yet and there is literally nothing to play. I'm hoping for the latter. 

I'm starting to get that sense of excitement that accompanies a new game release. Hopefully Batman Arkham Knight can save my love for the gaming art form. As for Monday, since I have the day off, I am planning on watching every E3 livestream in the hopes that something can get me as excited as I was when I first saw The Last of Us demo, I'm 100% certain it will probably be Uncharted 4. (Then I remember I still have a year to wait and I feel as if I've been punched in the gut.) Maybe we will all be blown away by an announcement that no one will be expecting, (fingers crossed for a Red Dead Redemption follow up.) Let's hope for an amazing E3 with lot's of surprises in store that will fill this next year with nothing but anticipation. 

2 comments:

  1. Try dying light, shadows or morridor, and alien isolation. All are great games, but I have a feeling that this years best will be the new fallout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard nothing but good things about those games, I just haven't gotten around to browsing my local game stores. I definitely need to broaden my gaming horizons. Thanks for the suggestions.

      Delete